Yesterday I had some bananas that need to be used up before they turned black. I opened up the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and glanced at some muffin recipes. Improvising a little, I made some slightly plain but good muffins. Here is my sugar-free banana oatmeal muffin recipe. It makes twelve small muffins. The muffins would probably be tastier with some cinnamon added. However, the omission of sugar had no negative effects on the flavor; the bananas were ripe enough to provide adequate sweetness.
2 medium bananas, the riper the better
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch or two of salt
1/4 coconut oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
about 3-4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin tins or line with muffin papers.
1. Mash the banana in a bowl.
2. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Form a well in the center.
3. Mix liquid ingredients in another bowl (this does not include the banana).
4. Pour liquid mixture into well in the dry mixture. Dump in the bananas.
5. Stir until well blended.
6. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes.
*If you use muffin papers, wait until they have cooled entirely. Otherwise, the paper sticks to the muffin.